Wednesday 30 January 2013

When did we stop keeping our promises?

So this is going to be a bit of a rant, for which I apologise (and that is more than can be said for those who have caused this rant).

Over the past few months I, some of my partners and a few of my clients seem to have experienced a spat of false promises, blatant misleading and down right lies from organisations who should know better.

I think we have all had these experiences...From the sub-contractor who claims it'll only take a few minutes and then go awol; the colleagues that you entrust who fail to deliver what they say they will; the companies who can't do enough for you until you have paid them and then they are no where to be seen; right through to the old favourite "The cheque is in the post" brigade who have no intention of paying you on time but are not courageous enough to admit it.

We have all been let down by someone in business. We have all been promised that something will happen at a particular time, in a particular way and then it doesn't.

So here's the message to all those who make fales promises.

It's really simple. 

Do what you say you will.

That's it. No more. No less.

Now I am not saying that I am perfect. I make mistakes too. But when I make a mistake I admit it; I apologise a lot!; I do whatever I can to put it right and I look at what is broken in my business that needs fixing so that it doesn't happen again.

So...before you say "I will do this" ask yourself "Will I be able to keep my promise? Can I actually deliver?" and if the answer is no then tell us.

We won't be mad and we may even respect you a little bit more for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment